With so many beautiful lakes, rivers, and streams in Northeast Tennessee summer just seems to draw us to the water. There’s an endless amount of fun to be had while swimming, fishing and canoeing. And then, of course, there is the beach trip as well.
With all our opportunities to enjoy the water, we need to be sure to follow the safety tips
that keep us safe:
that keep us safe:
Do your part, be water smart! Ensure that everyone in the family learns to swim well.
Adults: actively supervise children; stay within arm’s reach of young children and newer swimmers. And kids: follow the rules.
Don’t fool with a pool: fence it in. Enclose your pool and spa with four-sided, four-foot fencing and use self-closing, self-latching gates.
Don’t just pack it; wear your U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket – always when on a boat and if in a situation beyond your skill level. Inflatable children’s toys and water wings can be fun, but they are no substitute for a life jacket and adult supervision.
Swim as a pair near a lifeguard’s chair - everyone, including experienced swimmers, should swim with a buddy in areas protected by lifeguards.
Reach or throw, don't go! Know what to do to help someone in trouble, without endangering yourself; know how and when to call 9-1-1; and know CPR.
Once we get out of the water, it’s time to grill! Again, in order to have those great memories of summer fun, we need to follow some basic safety rules:
- · Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
- · Never grill indoors – not in your house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- · Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
- · Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
- · Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
- · Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
- · Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using grills.
I hope you will take a few minutes and share these tips with friends, family, and co-workers. Let’s stay safe while enjoying the fun of summertime!