Everyone looks forward to having fun during the summer, and the Red Cross wants to make sure people know how to stay safe while enjoying the warmer months.
HIGHWAY SAFETY Millions of people will be on the highways over the summer. The Red Cross offers these five tips everyone should do to stay safe while traveling:
1. Buckle seat belts, observe speed limits.
2. Do not drink and drive.
3. Pay full attention to the road – don’t use a cell phone to call or text.
4. Use caution in work zones.
5. Clean the vehicle’s lights and windows to help the driver see, especially at night. Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
GRILLING SAFETY Every year people are injured while using grills. Here are steps for safe grilling:
1. Always supervise a barbeque grill when in use.
2. Never grill indoors – not in the house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
3. Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
4. Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
5. Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
DOWNLOAD FIRST AID APP The Red Cross has a free Red Cross First Aid App to put expert advice for everyday emergencies at their fingertips. The app is available for smart phones and tablets and can be downloaded at redcross.org/apps.
Remember to check your email for information on the July monthly volunteer meeting which will be held in Crockett County.