Thursday, May 19, 2022

Volunteer Spotlight: Lenora McMeekin

By Kayla Beamon, Red Cross volunteer

Duty Officer Lenora McMeekin brings plenty of experience and care and compassion to the Red Cross mission of being present when the community needs it the most. As a Disaster Action Team Coordinator for the Mid-West Tennessee and Tennessee River Chapters, she has been with the Red Cross since August 2017 and volunteers three weeks each month.  

She has supported the Red Cross in providing an immediate response to community disasters like the Tennessee River flood in Parsons, tornado disasters in Kenton and Darden, and even an ice storm that gripped Dresden.  

When asked how volunteering for the Red Cross makes her feel she says, “I love what I do for the American Red Cross and cannot imagine working for or being a part of any other organization. It fills my life with meaning and purpose. I have sat with people who have lost everything due to fires and storms and listened to their stories and heartache. I have said many times that I have two ears to listen, two shoulders to cry on and two arms to give hugs.”  

She gives amazing credit to the other volunteers she works with in the chapters, “I wouldn’t be able to do any of this without the assistance of a great team and my service dog partner.”  

If you would like to become a Red Cross volunteer, visit redcross.org/volunteer to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment