Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Come sit on the porch with me. 

Story by Tom Kunicki, American Red Cross Volunteer

Photos by Carlos Rodriguez, American Red Cross Volunteer

DRESDEN, Tenn., December 22, 2021 - December Tennessee Tornadoes Response  

It is said often, but it bears repeating, that a picture is worth a thousand words.  

Images of disaster and recovery have more impact on our mood and sentiment than even the most eloquent speech or the most poignant quote.  Amidst the destruction and rubble, you can find, if you look closely, a memory of the time when we were invited to “come sit on the porch” of a neighbor or friend or reminded to remain “Tennessee Tough.”

The photos seen here were included in hundreds captured over several days by Carlos Rodriguez, a fellow Red Cross volunteer.  Carlos is a business analyst by profession with a passion for photography who has spent his first deployment with the Red Cross documenting the destruction and aftermath of the tornadoes that have devastated entire towns, such as Dresden, in this area of Tennessee.

Carlos will tell you, “I love photography. As I ponder the subject I try to capture as much as possible to convey the theme, the effect or emotion that the picture may be contained within. One such picture is the one of the stained glass that says ‘On this rock, I will build my church.’ I am hopeful that it will be rebuilt.”

Through this deployment, his first, Carlos has solidified a deep appreciation for the Red Cross and his fellow volunteers.  He would tell you, “I have been thinking that I would like to compile my thoughts about this deployment… as an observer/volunteer inside the fishbowl that I believe many, many people outside of the fishbowl do not see … the work that takes place by the few that actually belong to the Red Cross and the volunteers from across our nation that answer the call.”

We can share his sense of pride when he praises “the synchronicity that takes place to bring the volunteers together and into one site that will lend a hand in many, many ways in the delivery and recovery of our clients that have, respectfully, been brought to their knees and are now in dire need of support to get back on their feet and again in many ways.” 

In addition to his photography, Carlos is also passionate about his volunteer service as an interpreter and translator here in the recovery scene but also in Nashville as an interpreter in the hospitals when called upon.  Carlos continues, “I have been blessed by Ms. Sherri (Mckinney) and her invitation to work for her, the dedicated souls both with the Red Cross and volunteers, and the opportunity to serve in what way I can. For this, I am indebted and forever grateful.”

 



No comments:

Post a Comment