Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Recipient Spotlight: Bryan Joas


While riding his bicycle home from work in 2016, Bryan Joas was involved in a hit-and-run accident. He suffered life-threatening injuries including a broken back, hips and ribs, and damaged lungs, liver, kidney, and intestines. He needed 12 surgeries during his 88-day hospital stay and received nearly 50 transfusions of blood products that helped save his life.

“Without the blood I needed, I may not have survived,” said Bryan. “I’m grateful to blood donors for ensuring there was blood on the shelves when my life was on the line.” 

Five years later, Bryan spends little time thinking about the accident or that the vehicle driver has never been found. He chooses to focus on his health, family and replenishing the blood supply that was used to save his life. Bryan and his wife, Shauna, are both advocates for blood donations. 

“It’s important to me to help pay it forward. I’m living proof that blood helps save lives, and I urge anyone who is able to donate to join us,” said Bryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment