Thursday, August 16, 2018

East Tennessee Volunteer Spotlight: Dorothy "Dotty" Ettensohn - August 2018

Dorothy Ettensohn, known as Dotty to her friends at the Red Cross East Tennessee Chapter, has been an active volunteer since 2016.

Red Cross volunteerism is a family affair for Dotty inspired by her mother, a registered nurse and Red Cross volunteer as well as her husband, Richard, also a volunteer.

A native Pennsylvanian and former social worker, Dotty began a second career as a geologist and worked in the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County before retiring to Knoxville in 2013.

Dotty’s curatorial skills have benefited the Red Cross as she has served as a member of the safety committee and as chapter historian, archiving items from the 13-county service area. Dotty likes to tackle meticulous work others might view as tedious. Her dedication, superior attitude and sweet smile have made her a welcomed asset to the East TN Team. Learn more about her:

* What is your favorite food? Coffee

* If you could try a profession that isn’t a current or past job, what would it be? Happily, I got to do exactly what I wanted in life.

* Which music do you like? I like acapella singing

* Which books do you enjoy reading? I currently have 30 books from the library, on different topics and I’m checking out some new authors.

* What would surprise others about you? I am pilot--one of the most exciting things I’ve done was to get my pilot’s license. After taking a lesson in the small, two-seater, Cessna 152 at a local flying club, just for fun, I went ahead and completed getting my single engine, land, private pilot’s license. Folks at the club would fly somewhere for the day and then back home. If we went somewhere where it took only an hour to get there and back, the entire trip would only cost us $7.00 for the plane plus 18 cents a gallon for gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment