Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Letter from Heart of Tennessee Executive Director, Mike Cowles - June 2015
One of the best ways to enjoy the water is to learn how to swim. The Red Cross offers swimming courses, and all you need to do is call (615) 893-4272 to find a course nearest you. Below are a few things you can use to have a more fun and safer summer.
1. Swim in areas that have lifeguards
2. Use the “Buddy System” my kids always have a buddy and likewise are their friends buddy when at summer camp.
3. Never leave a child unattended near water.
4. If a child or adult is an inexperienced swimmer make sure they are wearing an approved life jacket. While this may not be the “cool” thing to do it is much better than the alternative.
5. Do not play around drains and suction apparatuses.
6. If you are at the beach be aware of the undertow and rough waves. Most beaches have a flag system to determine what is going on in the ocean.
7. Finally, use common sense and by doing so I promise you will have a fun and safe time.
It is amazing just how many ways we are able to make a difference in the lives of residents of the communities we serve. From our lifesaving skills training, to disaster relief, our service to armed forces, vital blood collection, mobile applications to alert you of weather related events and the training, coordinating and springing into action of our caring volunteers, the Red Cross is there for you. I encourage you to stop by our office and see where you can fit in and be one of the folks that makes a difference.