Many people will be taking road trips, spending time at the beach and having cook outs this weekend. The American Red Cross offers safety tips to help everyone have a safe and enjoyable time.
Everyone should take a few simple, safety steps when spending time on the road, at the beach or lake, and at cook outs. Start by downloading the free Red Cross mobile First Aid and Swim apps.
People should also follow these safety tips:
Tips for Safe Travel
• Take emergency supplies such as food and water, a flashlight and a first aid kit.
• Let someone know your destination, your route and when you expect to arrive.
• Buckle up and obey traffic signs.
• Avoid texting and talking on the phone while driving.
• Don’t drink and drive.
Tips for Safe Swimming
• Check weather and beach conditions throughout the day.
• Always swim in an area supervised by a lifeguard and obey all warnings.
• Provide close and constant attention to children in or near the water.
• Stay within arm’s reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
• Young children, inexperienced swimmers and boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
Tips for Safe Grilling
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Keep children and pets away from the grill.
• Never add charcoal starter fluid after coals have been ignited.
• Use long-handled utensils.
• Don’t leave the grill unattended while in use.
The Red Cross has a series of mobile apps in case people run into severe weather or need expert advice on what to do in case of an emergency. People can go to redcross.org/apps for information.